Wednesday, June 20, 2012

More from the UVa Debacle: Going Out in Style

At least one prominent full professor at UVa, Bill Wulf, has already resigned in protest over the way that the Board of Visitors has handled the firing of Teresa Sullivan and the installation of an interim president after an 11-hr (!) closed-door meeting on Monday. Here's the flava from Wulf's resignation letter:

"By this email I am submitting my resignation, effective immediately. I do not wish to be associated with an institution being as badly run as the current UVa. A BOV that so poorly understands UVa, and academic culture more generally, is going to make a lot more dumb decisions, so the University is headed for disaster, and I don't want to be any part of that. And, frankly, I think you should be ashamed to be party to this debacle!"

The man is plain-spoken. I like his style. I bet his departure will be a loss to UVa, and I hope the school doesn't have to suffer too many more losses like this before the BoV come to their senses (or, better, are replaced). 

No comments:

Post a Comment